Whether your NJ home remodeling project is all done or you’re still in the planning stages, at some point, you’re going to want to think about how to manage your interior design dreams together your new house addition and budget. When it comes to fabrics, the key to a designed look is to strike just the right balance between color and pattern. Here are five simple tips to get you started when working on the interior design for your house addition:
- Start with a foundation color or two that you really like (if using two, just make sure they complement each other and don’t clash).
- Now look for three patterns that use your color, either as a primary color or in some small detail. This is the factor that will bind all your patterns together. Don’t choose three of the same type of pattern; mix them up – for instance, look for a plaid, a stripe and a floral rather than trying to use three florals. This creates depth and also keeps the room from looking cluttered.
- Look for patterns of different sizes – for instance, a large floral, a medium stripe and a small plaid.
- Match the scale of the pattern to the scale of the room: small room, small patterns; large room, large patterns. Medium patterns work well in any size room.
- Likewise, match the scale of the pattern to the scale of the furniture: larger patterns work best on sofas and love seats while small patterns are better suited for chairs or ottomans.
- Patterns still making you nervous? Choose neutral fabrics for larger pieces and add color and pattern on smaller pieces like an ottoman or side chair, or with accessories like colorful pillows or throws that can easily be changed as your tastes evolve.
As a leading New Jersey home remodeling company, Trade Mark Design & Build can help you get the look you want for your home sweet home. Contact us today at 973-636-0100 for your free estimate.